What is NovaSure® Endometrial Ablation?
NovaSure® is a quick, safe, and simple procedure to lighten or stop your periods, without the side effects of hormones or the risks of hysterectomy.
Why choose NovaSure®?
- It’s Safe: No pills. No hormonal side effects
- It’s Effective: For 90% of women, menstruall bleeding is dramatically reduced or stopped
- It’s Quick: NovaSure® is a one-time five-minute procedure that can be done in your doctor’s office, usually for the cost of a copay.
How does NovaSure® work to treat heavy periods?
NovaSure® is an endometrial ablation (EA) procedure that can reduce or stop menstrual bleeding. It works by removing the endometrium, or the lining of the uterus (the part that causes the bleeding), with a quick delivery of radiofrequency energy. Here’s how NovaSure® works:
- Your doctor slightly open your cervix (the opening to the uterus), inserts a slender wand and extends a triangular mesh device into the uterus
- The mesh gently expands, fitting to the size and shape of your uterus
- Precisely measured radio frequency energy is delivered thtough the mesh for about 90 seconds
- The mesh device is pulled back into the wand, and both are removed from the uterus
No part of the NovaSure® device remains inside your body after the procedure.
Benefits and considerations of NovaSure® for heavy periods
- It’s Safe
- No pills. No hormonal side effects.
- It’s Effective
- For 90% of women, menstrual bleeding is dramatically reduced or stopped.
- It’s Quick
- NovaSure® is a one-time, five-minute procedure that can be done in your doctor’s office, usually for the cost of a copay.
NovaSure® can do more than just stop the bleeding. Many women who’ve had the NovaSure® procedure say they are now able to spend more time at work and daily activities, participating in more social and athletic outings now that they no longer suffer from heavy bleeding. They also report improved energy levels, better moods, and a boost in self-confidence. And many also had a significant reduction in painful periods and PMS symptoms like irritability.
Not all women are candidates for NovaSure Endometrial Ablation.
Your doctor will explain the risks of all treatment options. NovaSure® is for premenopausal women with heavy periods due to benign causes who are finished childbearing. Pregnancy following NovaSure® can be dangerous. NovaSure® is not for those who have or suspect uterine cancer, have an active genital, urinary or pelvic infection or an IUD. NovaSure® is not a sterilization procedure. Rare but serious risks include but are not limited to thermal injury, perforation and infection. Temporary side effects may include cramping, nausea, vomiting, discharge and spotting.
This information is provided by WebMD.