It is important to talk with your teenager about birth control and STD protection. Some activities to prevent teenage pregnancy include surveillance, behavioral research, and demonstration projects:
- The United States has the highest teenage pregnancy rate of all developed countries.
- About 1 million teenagers become pregnant each year; 95% of those pregnancies are unintended, and almost one third end in abortions.
- Public costs from teenage childbearing totaled $120 billion from 1985-1990; $48 billion could have been saved if each birth had been postponed until the mother was at least 20 years old.
- Birth rates during 1991-1996 declined for teenagers in all racial and ethnic groups.
- Birth rates among teenagers vary substantially from state to state; some states have rates almost three times higher than those of the states with the lowest rates.
- 13 community partnerships in 11 states are implementing comprehensive, integrated youth programs to prevent teenage pregnancies and related problems.
- 8 nongovernmental organizations are supported to assist states to develop and implement strategies to prevent pregnancy among teenagers.
This information is provided by MedicineNet.